Minor fire incidents yesterday spook students
By: Rebecca Panico | Published Sept. 21, 2016
Firefighters responded to three separate incidents on campus yesterday, two of which were reports of “overcooked food” in dorms, said Union Township Battalion Fire Chief Michael Scanio.
Around 6:10 p.m., a pot was left on the stove and set off the fire alarm in Rogers Hall, said Kean University Fire Safety Officer Len Dolan. At about 7 p.m. Union Township firefighters responded to reports of overcooked food in a microwave in the New Upperclassman residence hall.
At about 8:20 p.m., firefighters responded to a smoldering light fixture in Harwood Arena, Dolan said.
The incidents, which occurred two days after bombs were found about a mile away from campus near the Elizabeth Broad Street train station, had some students spooked.
Students last evening were overheard saying there were shots fired on campus, while other people started tweeting about a possible active shooter.
“There was a report of that [shots fired] at Willis Hall,” said Dolan, adding that it occurred around 7 p.m. “But that was unfounded.”
He surmised the sound was a car backfiring on Morris Avenue, adding that, “There was a lot of noise and sirens so I can understand that.”
A campus alert text message was never sent. The university sent out a mass email to all students, faculty and staff at about 7:30 p.m. yesterday reassuring them that the campus was safe.
“Kean University Campus Police this evening confirm that the Union campus remains safe and fully operational,” the email read. “The campus is patrolled and monitored continuously as the safety of our students and employees is our chief priority. There are no incidents to report this evening.”
Student are encouraged to register for the campus alert system at www.kean.edu/campusalert.